A couple getting divorce has to give serious thought to matters regarding child custody and visitation rights.
Court take the decisions and certainly it keep the child’s best interests in mind.
Hence for this purpose the child’s age and preferences; his physical and emotional well-being; attachment with parents; school arrangements etc. are taken into consideration.
Child custody types like legal; physical; sole; joint; or bird’s nest custody.
- Legal custody gives parents the right to jointly make important decisions for the child.
- Physical custody gives a parent the right to physically keep the child with him/her.
- In sole custody one parent has all custody rights while the other parent has visitation rights.
- In joint custody parents can share the responsibilities of the child by schedule synchronizing.
- So bird’s nest arrangement has the child living in a home with the parents moving in and out and turn-by-turn looking after the child.
Furthermore the other parent who doesn’t have custody of the child is given visitation rights by the court to spend some quality time with the child.
Parents can mutually agreed upon this schedule or set by court.