What to Do If You Suspect Identity Theft in Canada

In Canada, if you have suspected any immoral activity done with your SIN or doing the unethical business with your SIN by deceitfully, then you must act hurriedly for diminishing the negative impact and for preventing your losses.

  1. At first, you will have to file a complaint to the police. You must ask for the officer’s name, telephone number, and the reference number. You must make that SIN, and your name must be there while you obtain a copy of the police report.
  2. You must contact the Canada call centre of Anti-fraud in 1-888-495-8501.
  3. Call the Canadian 2 national bureau of credit for asking the credit report. Check it out for finding any suspect. You must check out that the credit file is flagged or not. They will provide every kind of assistance and advice in the case. You can also call Equifax (1-800-465-7166) to get some additional information about fees or any other requirements or TransUnion contact 1-800-663-9980 (Quebec residents can call 1-877-713-3393)
  4. You should inform your creditors and the banks through phone and by in writing if there were irregularities.
  5. You must report any irregularities in mail delivery to the Canada Post, such as missing financial statements, opened envelope, or missing any documents.
  6. You must carry all the documents such as proof of misuse or fraud of your SIN while going to the Service Canada office.
  7. Do not forget to carry out the original copy of identity documents such as immigration certificate, citizenship documents, or birth certificate. Anyone of our officials will guide you and assist you.

What to Do If You Are a Victim of Identity Theft

Important: The articles available on requestlegalservice.com are not legal advice nor a replacement for a lawyer. The contents are usual information and guidance concerning different lawful issues. We make sure that these articles prove helpful to you, but we do not promise that they are suitable for your circumstance. Hence, we strictly suggest you get expert legal advice. Consult or hire an attorney in case of any uncertainty.